Intolerances: FODMAP friendly, lactose free
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
Makes 4 burgers
Recipe by: The Intolerant Cooks
1 x 400g medium tofu
1 heaped Tbsp vegemite
1⁄2 cup low fodmap breadcrumbs
2Tbsp Soulseed hemp seeds
Pinch of salt
Oil to fry
300g mayonnaise, (check labels for no lactose)
6 white cocktail onions, chopped
1 handful dill, chopped
1⁄2tsp paprika pepper to taste
juice of half a lemon, to taste
4 low fodmap Bakers Delight Rolls
4 slices pineapple, grilled
2 tomatoes, Adelaide, green, heirloom, sliced
3 large dill pickles, sliced
1⁄4 iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
To make Low FODMAP:
-Tofu must be firm NOT silken
- Check mayonnaise for no garlic or onion
1. To make the mayonnaise, mix the mayonnaise, pickled onions, dill, paprika and pepper in a bowl. Add lemon juice to taste. Set aside and make the burger patty.
2. Break up the tofu, and mix all patty ingredients in a bowl.
3. Form 4 patties with your hands.
4. Heat a pan on high, grill the pineapple for a couple of minutes on each side to caramelize.
5. Heat 1cm of oil in a large wide based fry pan over medium heat.
6. Fry the patties on one side for 3 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes. As soon as you flip the burger lay slices of cheese on top of the patty to melt.
7. Cut open the low fodmap buns, spoon a generous dollop of mayonnaise on both sides of the buns. Lay the patty with cheese on the bottom, then layer with tomato, pickle slices, pineapple and lettuce. Skewer the burger to hold all ingredients in place and serve.
FODMAPS are a collection of short chain carbohydrates and sugar alcohols both naturally occurring in food as well as in food additives.
FODMAPS STANDS FOR Fermentable Oligosaccharides – fructans and galacto-oligosaccharides Disaccharides lactose Monosaccarides – fructose in excess of glucose Polyols – sorbitol mannitol maltitol
Low fodmap diet is the most effective dietary therapy for Irritable bowel syndrome.
Hemp – heal, house, cloth and feed High quality protein, omega 3s, magnesium, fibre, 30g serve per day GF, Nut free, DF