Intolerances: Gluten Free Lactose Free
Recipe by: The Intolerant Cooks
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
Makes 8 – 10 fritters
4 medium carrots, peeled and spiralized or shredded - don’t soak in water
100g of ivory teff flour
100gm of chickpea flour
2Tbsp Soulseed hemp seeds, plus extra to serve
3tsp of ground cumin
20 grinds of black pepper
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄2tsp ground turmeric
2tsp ground coriander
2tsp baking powder
1tsp chili flakes
1 cup peas
3 stems of fresh curry leaves
Extra virgin olive oil, to fry
3 medium zucchini spiralized or grated
2 limes, 2 segmented and 1 in wedges to serve
Mint leaves, to serve
1 bunch coriander leaves
2 – 3 zucchini blossom(optional) break flower off, remove stamen and break them in half
1Tbsp Soulseed hemp seed oil
juice of 1⁄2 lemon
1 lime, cut in wedges to serve
To make Low FODMAP:
- Remove High FODMAP chickpea flour and use Low FODMAP Flour i.e, rice flour, gluten free flour - Omit peas as they are high in oligosaccharides or keep to 15g or less per serve to be Low FODMAP - Keep zucchini to 65g per serve, higher quantities become moderate-high in fructose
1. In a large bowl, toss the spiralised carrots in salt and sugar and set aside for 10 minutes then gently squeeze the excess liquid from the carrots. Set aside and make the batter.
2. To make the fritter batter, whisk all dry batter ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Make a well in the flour and gradually whisk in the water until you have a smooth batter. Allow to rest for 10 minutes
4. Add the carrots and peas to the batter and gently toss with 2 spoons to ensure the carrots and peas are coated with the batter.
5. Heat 2cm of oil in a large fry pan and when hot (175-180 degrees) fry heaped tablespoons full of batter. You may need to cook them in 2 batches. Using the back of a spoon spread out a little and press on a few curry leaves. You’ll know it is time to flip when the edges start to crisp up and fritter puffs up a little. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side and drain on paper towel. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt flakes.
6. To make the salad, gently toss all the salad ingredients together to combine. Pour over the oil, squeeze over the lemon juice, season and toss.
7. To plate, place 2 fritters on each plate and pile salad on top. Finish with a sprinkle of extra hemp seeds. Serve with lime wedges on the side.